Why we ask you to share your Personal Data
We ask you to share your personal data with us for purposes including, but not limited to:
- Buying GM products online;
- Activating or registering certain products or enhancing functionality;
- Receiving information about GM products and services;
- Participating in GM online communities, including our social media channels/pages and blogs;
- Storing your preferences for future interactions and communications from GM;
- Helping us to develop products and create campaigns that are designed around you, optimize customer services and continuously improve our websites;
- Helping us to improve products and services, and allowing GM to keep you informed of, or involve you in testing of, new products and services;
- Resolving consumer and/or product issues;
- Receiving personalized messages, special offers and advertisements that are relevant to your personal interests, based on the information you have shared with us and on the information we have collected through cookies or similar techniques regarding your use of the GM websites/social media/blogs.
We generally process your personal data only for those purposes that we have communicated with you. If we use it for other (closely related) purposes, additional data protection measures will be implemented if required by law.
Type of Personal Data we may collect
When you interact with GM, purchasing a product or interacting with GM via our GM Pages (e.g. “like us on Facebook”), we may ask for or receive certain data, such as:
- Your password is 256bit encrypted and cannot be seen or altered by the company.
- Your name;
- Your email address;
- Your telephone number;
- Your social media profile;
- Your gender;
- Your age;
- Your address;
- Your work details;
- Information about the products you’ve purchased;
- Your usage of and activities on our GM Pages;
- Your interests; and
- Your password will be encrypted and secure;
- Other information related to your online behavior.
Also, depending on the choices you have made regarding your settings on various social media sites, and your settings on our GM Pages, certain personal data may be shared with GM about your online activities and social media profiles (e.g. interests, marital status, gender, user name, photo, comments you have posted etc.).
In addition, we may collect personal data via cookies or similar techniques, including, but not limited to:
- Your IP address;
- Your cookie ID;
- Your web browser;
- Your location;
- The web pages you visit on our websites;
- The advertisements you’ve viewed or clicked through;
Different ways we collect your Personal Data
You can share your personal data with GM in several ways, including, but not limited to:
- Your communications with GM. These can be product- or service-related, and may include the contents of your questions to us, or requests you addressed to us;
- Communicating with one of our GM Customer Care representatives by email or phone or in writing;
- Ordering a product;
- Participating in a promotion, game or competition;
- Participating in a social media activity related to a GM promotion (for example clicking “like” or “share”);
- Asking to receive messages on your mobile phone/device;
- Subscribing to a GM newsletter;
- Sending us a completed reply card, included with your GM product;
- Voluntarily participating in product testing or surveys;
- Social sign-on (using your Facebook or LinkedIn credentials, for example, to create an account or log on);
- When using GM connected products and/or Apps, you may be asked whether you wish to share data with GM (e.g. share your usage data or your location data);
- Cookies placed on your computer or mobile device when you visit our websites;
- Social Listening: GM may search the Internet for relevant and publicly available content and use it to improve its products or services, resolve consumer issues and provide targeted marketing.
- GM may also obtain your personal data if you are a customer of a GM partner. Personal data may also reach us when we purchase another company of which you are a customer. If you do not want GM to use your personal data that has not been provided by you, you may let us know at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Once you have provided us with your personal data, you have reasonable access to that information so that you can update, modify or, if legally possible, delete it. For GM you may do this by logging into your account and accessing your “personal settings”, where you can also change your preferences relating to how GM communicates with you.
You will also be provided with an opt-out opportunity when necessary and we will comply with any local legislation.
We encourage you to keep your personal settings and personal data complete and current.
We want to know you better so we can serve you better while at the same time respecting your choices about how we use your personal data.
Your personal data may be transferred from your home country to other GM companies, in different locations around the world, which may communicate with you about GM products, services or special offers that you may be interested in. If local law requires it, we will ask for prior consent to transfer your personal data outside of your geographic region.
If you do not want us to send you personalised offers or information, you can let us know by checking the appropriate box on the registration form or reply card, or by selecting “opt-out” on emails you receive.
Where local law requires it, we will ask you to “opt-in” or affirmatively consent to the processing of your personal data. For example, where local law so requires, we will only send you newsletters if you have subscribed to them. Similarly, where local law so requires, we will ask you to “opt-in” before using sophisticated profiling techniques.
Because GM sells thousands of products in hundreds of countries, you may have previously provided us with your personal data through reply cards, via our call centres or in some other manner. Your decision not to register now will not affect the personal data you have already provided to GM. Of course, you will always have the option to unsubscribe from any targeted communication from GM or change your personal profile information.
Do Not Track Signals
GM takes privacy and security very seriously, and strives to put our website users first in all aspects of our business. GM utilizes cookies to help you to get the most out of the GM Pages.
Please be aware that GM currently does not make use of a technical solution that would enable us to respond to your browser’s ‘Do Not Track’ signals. In order to manage your cookie preferences, however, you may alter the cookie settings in your browser settings at any time. You may accept all, or certain, cookies. If you do disable our cookies in your browser settings, you may find that certain sections of our website(s) will not work. For example, you may have difficulties logging in or making online purchases.
You can find further information on how to alter your cookie settings for the browser that you use from the following list:
On the GM pages, Flash cookies are also used. Flash cookies may be removed by managing your Flash Player settings. Depending on the version of Internet Explorer (or other browser) and media player you use, you may be able to manage Flash cookies with your browser. You may manage Flash Cookies by visiting the Adobe website. Please be aware that restricting the use of Flash Cookies may affect the features available to you.
When you participate in various social media forums like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc., you should be familiar with and understand the tools provided by those sites that allow you to make choices about how you share the personal data in your social media profile(s).
Also, depending on the choices you have made regarding your settings on various social media sites (and/or in combination with your settings on the GM pages), certain personal data may be shared with GM about your online activities and social media profiles (e.g. interests, marital status, gender, user name, photo, comments and content you have posted/shared etc.).
Linking to other websites
GM may store your personal data in a cloud. This means that your personal data may be processed on behalf of GM by a cloud service provider and could be stored in different locations around the world. GM makes use of organizational and contractual measures to protect your personal data and to impose similar, but in no way less restrictive, requirements on our cloud services providers, including requirements that your personal data be processed exclusively for the purposes mentioned above.
How we protect your personal data
We recognize and take seriously our responsibility to protect the personal data you entrust to GM from loss, misuse or unauthorized access. GM uses a variety of security technologies and organizational procedures to help protect your personal data. For example, we implement access controls, use firewalls, secure servers and we encrypt certain types of data, such as financial information and other sensitive data.
Special information for parents
While GM websites are not generally targeted at children under the age of 16, it is GM’ policy to comply with the law when it requires parent or guardian permission before children’s information is collected, used or disclosed.
GM strongly recommends that parents take an active role in supervising the online activities of their children. If you believe we have collected personal data from a person who is under the age of 16, please contact us at email@example.com